trying to install Debian encrypted in an existed partition, keeping the rest as it is ...

 I got one of those office computers I would like to recycle. It has a
fat16 (as /dev/sda1) partition with some manufacturer’s selftests
which I would like to keep. So, I wiped the rest of the other two
partitions to install Debian encrypted, however I can’t make sense of
the questions I am being asked and I can’t go passed that installation
step.

 I could imagine I am not the only one who has tried to do something
like that before. It seems the Debian encrypted installation gets a
bit "temperamental" about partitions. Why would that be? Could you
point me to a link explaining the installation procedures step by step
when you need to keep a previous partition?

 I will post here how did I work myself out of that situation. Once I
manage to do so.

 lbrtchx