Re: Upgrade Problem

On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 20:46:53 +0100
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> I asked why he does not reinstall, but didn't get meaningful answer -
> only, I can not do it and it takes too much time.
>
> One can not argue with educated people, so I gave up.
> This is just an example how it works for most of the people. I am
> sure if he were working for the money he spends, he were reinstalling.

Reinstalling looks good until you've done it, the old installation is
history, and over the next few weeks you realise how much time you had
spent over the last few years tweaking your computer to get it the way
you like it.

And no, you cannot at the same time a) clear out the cruft, choose
different and better software and do the partitioning better and b) just
backup the old /etc and restore it.

Been there, done all that...

Apart from the fact that reinstalling becomes attractive only after
you've really broken it badly, beyond the point where you can do dpkg
--get-selections and suchlike. Nobody ever reinstalls before they
desperately need to.

--
Joe