Re: Why choose Debian on server

On Friday 04 January 2019 13:46:28 deloptes wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> > I've built 3 rt kernels on the pi, takes it about 4 hours. But for
> > the life of me, I can't find an installer that will actually do the
> > pi, its boot is a separate mess. I'm sure it can be done as I also
> > have a pair of rock64's running armbian, and I have seen apt install
> > a new kernel on the one I'm playing with, twice to its u-sd card.
> > And installer that actually works would be nice as a make install
> > doesn't seem to exist in the linux-rt kernel sources I have pulled,
> > from the linux-rt lists announcements do not seem to have that
> > recipe in the makefiles.
>
> There is a good how to I used for setting up RPI. I copied whatever it
> needed to an old SD card and configured to boot from NFS server. This
> made testing much easier. If I could do it I bet you can as well
>
> Fore example see "The Boot" here
> https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/39959/raspbian-boot-pr
>ocess-and-the-partition-table

One HUGE problem with that page. Its not printable! What the he!! good is
it if I can't take a print out to the machine and checkmark the steps as
I go. Way to go stackexchange, not!.  But I did anyway. :)

But its also NOOBS centric and I think I'm booting via a different system
with the images i'm using. Yeah my df looks very little like the report
here, but it doesn't say. Then at whats line 112 in my printout, the
poster is using a widows box for a buffer.

Then he talks about the partitions on /dev/mmcblk0p1 which fdisk shows
almost nothing:

Disk /dev/mmcblk0p1: 41 MiB, 42991616 bytes, 83968 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

No partitions, so  much of the rest isn't applicable.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)