Re: [OT] scanned files are large in size

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 15:51:47 +0100
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> Some scanners mail things around, these days. I don't want to even
> think about how many security holes lurk in there.

The practical alternatives are to hook the scanner into the SMB sharing
system, or use sneakernet. Which of those has fewer potential security
issues?

A company I do some work for is no longer self-sufficient in IT, it is
part of the company international IT Borg. As such, its PCs are all
hooked by VPN into a Windows domain, which rules out SMB networking with
anything non-Borg, and all the USB sockets are disabled. Not, oddly,
the SD card slots...

I've just eliminated an old PC there, which existed solely as a SMTP
server for the scanner. It now uses a Raspberry Pi running (straying
back on-topic) Raspbian.

--
Joe