Re: [OT] scanned files are large in size

On Wed 02 Jan 2019 at 16:54:37 (+0000), Joe wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 15:51:47 +0100 <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> > Some scanners mail things around, these days. I don't want to even
> > think about how many security holes lurk in there.
>
> The practical alternatives are to hook the scanner into the SMB sharing
> system, or use sneakernet. Which of those has fewer potential security
> issues?

Well that depends on what you mean by security. I assume from what you
write below that you're perhaps thinking of the person who scans
sensitive documents onto a USB stick and carries it out of the building.

In my case, the security vulnerability is the sneakernet one: I use a
stick to transfer the scans from the scanner to an encrypted laptop.
A burglar could steal the unsecured stick as part of their swag.

> A company I do some work for is no longer self-sufficient in IT, it is
> part of the company international IT Borg. As such, its PCs are all
> hooked by VPN into a Windows domain, which rules out SMB networking with
> anything non-Borg, and all the USB sockets are disabled. Not, oddly,
> the SD card slots...
>
> I've just eliminated an old PC there, which existed solely as a SMTP
> server for the scanner. It now uses a Raspberry Pi running (straying
> back on-topic) Raspbian.

My scanner is either one floor up or one down from where I normally
work (attic office, basement kitchen). Wifi scanning directly into the
computer would be a pointless exercise because the documents still
have to be physically loaded onto the scanner bed.

Cheers,
David.