Re: Why choose Debian on server

On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 15:20:16 +0100
deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joe wrote:
>
> > Poor support for new hardware is a general problem for Linux, as
> > hardware is always designed for Windows, and drivers often have to
> > be reverse engineered for Linux. Red Hat is in a somewhat better
> > position than Debian, but no manufacturer is going to optimise
> > their hardware for RH, either. Less of a problem with servers,
> > where the hardware is likely to be robust and old-fashioned. Who
> > needs the latest version of Bluetooth or wi-fi on a server?
>
> some of us do not use linux only on the "server". The advantage is
> that you can run a good linux on a older desktop and get most of the
> hardware. I.e. I bought a Fujitsu ESPRIMO C700 for 180,- added some
> RAM for another 60,- to have 8GB and it is soooo good.

Indeed. I'm currently working on getting Debian onto a small Acer
laptop, which is not trivial. I've run it on a netbook for several
years. But laptops and servers are solutions to different problems, and
don't generally need the same hardware and software. I wouldn't run
Gimp on a server, nor a RADIUS server on a laptop.

--
Joe