Re: Low-Cost Tablet PC suitable for Debian

Am Mittwoch, 12. Dezember 2018, 16:10:36 CET schrieb Stefan Monnier:
Yes, this is a point, I did not take care. However, an external keynboard
might be also workable, as it is not expensive and can easily be exhanged.

For the problem with dust, a toughbook might be the best solution, but it is
expensive and heavy.

I believe, most users think, that a tablet is the same as a personal computer
or a notebook - it is NOT! Fully other architectture (i.e. ARM processor,
graphics chip)  and so on.

Back tio the dusty problem: Every hardware with coolers and moving parts are
bad choices. Dust will scratch the surface! (A foil will inhibit it).
Keyboard? Use a water proof keyboard.

However, I still believe, a netbook is the best choice, as a keyboard is easy
to exchange.
- Dust in the netbook can be avoided, by self improved filters.
- Everything can easily be exchanged, when it is really defctive.
- You have a real harddrive (mine is a standard SSD)
  and you do not loose data, when the mainboard dies.
- It is fully suppoirted by debian and even Windows
- Powersupply is exchangable!
- system can be upgraded (more memory. bigger harddrive)
- fully standrized ports (usb, vga, IEEE, network)
- wlan card with "special" options (monitor mode)
- low price
- good to handle (typing on a mechanical keyboard)

I thinkl there are more advantages, but I will not persuade anyone.
My own opinion is, that tablets are just crippled gadgets and for hard work
not really usable. But that is my very own opinion, please accept.

Hope this helps. :)

Best

Hans