Re: debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso missing files for install without mirror

Michael Stone wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 09:11:46PM +0100, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>>PS : aren't you confusing "netinst" with "netboot", which requires a
>>network connection to a mirror ?
>
>There used to be bootable business card netinst images that had almost
>nothing other than the kernel and the installer, and needed a mirror to
>get even a minimally functional system. I think the kernel+installer got
>too porky for those images in the last couple of releases.

In the end, they were too fragile and caused a support nightmare so we
dropped them. People didn't understand that they were very tightly
tied to the archive, and if anything changed (e.g. a point release)
things would fail. The images were also already too big to fit on a
business-card sized CD.

Instead, we now see people struggling with netboot setups that are
similarly fragile as things change. :-(

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html