Re: debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso missing files for install without mirror

On Sun 04 Nov 2018 at 16:53:19 (+0100), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 04/11/2018 à 16:44, David Wright a écrit :

> > > Well, if I am counting right, this is not true for the multi-arch
> > > netinst image :
> > > - 85 packages found in the main section for i386.
> > > - Only 43 packages found in the multi-arch CD image main section.
> > >
> > > Is it an exception because a netinst image is not supposed to be used
> > > without a mirror ?
> >
> > I was under the impression that "netinst" stood for "network installer",
> > so the image only contains what's essential to bootstrap a standard
> > system (or greater) from the network (Internet or local mirror).
>
> Netinst images contain everything required to install a functional
> basic system even without a network.

Sure, except for the fact that I don't know how your "functional basic
system" is defined. But I am assuming that it's something less than
your system (above) with "all packages with Priority: standard and
their dependencies", which is designed to provide "a reasonably small
but not too limited char-mode system" (Debian Policy Manual).

The Installation Guide quantifies this difference as approximately
187MB of disk space, using *their* definition of "minimal base
installation", which is installed by not selecting "standard system
utilities".

What it is, exactly, that you get by installing from netinst without
any Internet connection whatsoever would, I think, require an
experiment. I'm not in a situation to try that as (a) I'm not at home,
(b) I only have this laptop, (c) the images on it are i386 and amd64
single architecture ones, (d) I've no wherewithal to back it up.
Whatever it is, it's what I was referring to as the "bootstrap"
system (above). It seems that Brian is more familiar with its recent
incarnations; it's some years since I played around with methods of
minimising Internet throughput during installation.

Cheers,
David.