Re: debian-9.5.0-amd64-xfce-CD-1.iso missing files for install without mirror

On 11/3/18 8:35 AM, Brian wrote:
On Fri 02 Nov 2018 at 20:01:59 -0700, David Christensen wrote:

On 11/2/18 5:17 PM, Steve McIntyre wrote:

My intent was to install just what was on the CD onto a machine in my LAN.
I was unaware that d-i connected to the Internet when I told it not to use a
mirror.  As security.debian.org is not a mirror in the usual sense, perhaps
this kinda sorta makes sense to the Debian developers.  For me, it violates
KISS and the Principle of Least Surprise.  I think the d-i needs to be more
clear about if/ when it intends to connect to the Internet, and obtain
explicit user approval. Which package do I file a bug report against?

You gave it explicit approval when you configured the network.

I gave the d-i explicit approval to connect to my LAN. This is not the same as approval to connect to the Internet.

So, I file a bug report against d-i?

I view the fact that the d-i couldn't obtain a security update package to be
a defect in the Debian security package distribution chain.  If 'apt-get
update' finds that a security update package is available and the d-i wants
to install that package, then 'apt-get update' must be able to download that
package.  Which package do I file a bug report against?

There is no defect in the security package distribution chain. mutt is
not part of the Xfce or standard utilities tasks. The installer had no
business attempting to install it.

So, I file a bug report against d-i?

David