Re: [SOLVED] Re: Migrating Debian installation to a new motherboard

On Sun 04 Nov 2018 at 16:42:41 (-0800), David Christensen wrote:
> On 11/4/18 7:25 AM, David Wright wrote:
> > On Fri 02 Nov 2018 at 23:09:02 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> > > ... I researched commercial products, asked around on Linux and
> > > BSD lists, and bought Ubiquiti Networks UniFi stuff: ...
> >
> > Most of the eye-watering prices have 3 or 4 figures.
>
> Checking prices on amazon.com and ubnt.com:
> […]
> Total: $196.90
> […]
> Total: $279.95 + Access Point
> […]
> Total: $149.00 + Access Point

… and my router cost $38.10 at Walmart (May 2018 prices).

> > Wouldn't it be "strange" to be running this enterprise-grade kit on a
> > home LAN?
>
> As I understand it, UniFi's value proposition is that their "Software
> Defined Network" is better/ faster/ cheaper to configure, operate, and
> maintain for large, multi-site, wired, and wireless network
> installations.

Perhaps I'll be able to call my house multi-site if/when I run a router
in each half. :)

> If you have ever tried to configure multiple routers and AP's in
> multiple LAN's connected by VPN's over the Internet, each via it's own
> web interface, UniFi's proposition becomes very appealing.

Yes, that sounds like enterprise-scale.

> Right now, I only have one router and one AP on my LAN.  Even for my
> tiny installation, UniFi is better than my previous high-end consumer/
> low-end professional Netgear products.  If and when I need to support
> remote LAN's over VPN's, UniFi should only get better.

I think I'll rest assured that there's nothing "strange" about the
setup that I described apart, perhaps, from the amount of money I'm
prepared to spend on it, which is the minimum to provide the
functionality I need, listed earlier.

Cheers,
David.