Re: [SOLVED] Re: Migrating Debian installation to a new motherboard

On Fri 02 Nov 2018 at 07:05:16 (-0400), Michael Stone wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 01, 2018 at 10:12:36PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> > BTW in a network set up like my own, the place where the MAC would be
> > relevant is in the DHCP server (here, the router) because that is how
> > the IP number is assigned. An unassigned MAC will get given an IP
> > address 192.168.1.200+, and it will conect to the Internet, but other
> > machines on the LAN would not recognise it. (Although the router can
> > hand out IP numbers, it doesn't run a nameserver.)
>
> If you do something strange on your network, the assumption is that
> you're responsible for updating it for new machines. It's not
> something that needs to be in a general guide.

I agree with that sentiment. But what is strange about my setup?
Perhaps you can help me find a less idiosyncratic way.

Condition #1: All devices at home must be addressable by name.
Condition #2: Several devices cannot have a static IP address assigned.
For example, this PC is 192.168.1.17 at home. Currently it is 172.20.5.105;
last night it was 10.0.27.15.

So at home, all the IP addresses are assigned by the router using the
devices' MACs. The computers use /etc/hosts to look up other devices.
The non-"computers" use the router's IP address for their configuration.

What would you change?

Cheers,
David.