Re: [SOLVED] Re: Migrating Debian installation to a new motherboard

On Sun, 4 Nov 2018 16:42:41 -0800
David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com> wrote:

> On 11/4/18 7:25 AM, David Wright wrote:
> > On Fri 02 Nov 2018 at 23:09:02 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> >> ... I researched commercial products, asked around on Linux and
> >> BSD lists, and bought Ubiquiti Networks UniFi stuff: ...
> >
> > Most of the eye-watering prices have 3 or 4 figures.
>
> Checking prices on amazon.com and ubnt.com:
>
> - Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway $119.00
>
> - Ubiquiti Unifi Ap-AC Lite $77.90
>
> - UniFi SDN Controller 5.9.29 for Debian/Ubuntu Linux $Free-as-in-Beer
>
> Total: $196.90
>

> The mini-ITX boxes are still too expensive:
>
> - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008KB5YCK/ $279.95
>
> - WiFi AP $???
>
> - pfSense 2.4.4 $Free-as-in-Freedom
>
> Total: $279.95 + Access Point
>

> The Netgate SG-1000 microFirewall Security Appliance with pfSense has a
> very aggressive price:
>
> - https://store.netgate.com/SG-1000.aspx $149.00
>
> - WiFi AP $???
>
> - pfSense included $Free-as-in-Freedom
>
> Total: $149.00 + Access Point

Or (depending on one's specific needs, of course), just get something
from one of these threads:

https://forum.openwrt.org/t/best-wireless-ac-router-for-lede/24551
https://forum.openwrt.org/t/whats-your-favourite-cheap-lede-openwrt-device/1362

It helps to enjoy tinkering and DIY, of course ;)

> If you have ever tried to configure multiple routers and AP's in
> multiple LAN's connected by VPN's over the Internet, each via it's own
> web interface, UniFi's proposition becomes very appealing.

Using OpenWrt devices, you can use the cli in addition the
(standardized) web interface.

> Right now, I only have one router and one AP on my LAN.  Even for my
> tiny installation, UniFi is better than my previous high-end consumer/
> low-end professional Netgear products.  If and when I need to support
> remote LAN's over VPN's, UniFi should only get better.

I know that the possibility of bricking devices when flashing alternate
firmware was mentioned earlier in this thread, but if you get devices
with solid OpenWrt support, flashing is quite easy and safe, and it's
amazing what you can do with them once they're running OpenWrt.

Celejar