Re: [SOLVED] Re: Migrating Debian installation to a new motherboard

On Fri 02 Nov 2018 at 23:09:02 (-0700), David Christensen wrote:
> On 11/2/18 8:49 PM, David Wright wrote:

> > > Buy or build a router with a caching name server that integrates with
> > > the DHCP server.  Configure the LAN devices to use DHCP.  Set DHCP
> > > fixed leases on the router for devices that require a static IP.
> >
> > You misunderstood my question. I'm meant to have done something
> > "strange" with my network and wanted to know how to "rectify" the
> > situation, not how to throw cash at it.
> >
> > BTW all the devices are currently configured using DHCP; that's what
> > I meant by "assigned by the router".
>
> What is strange is that your router does not have a caching name
> server that integrates with the DHCP server.

Eh? None of the consumer-grade routers that I've run have had any DNS
server, but they have all had a DHCP service.

> This is a common and
> useful feature.

… which you pay for with a more expensive device.

> Not having it forces work-around's like putting LAN
> host IP's into the /etc/hosts files of every other LAN host, which is
> a PITA to maintain.

It might be for you. Propogating it from my master copy is trivial
(with the right scripts), and updating it is hardly onerous when there
are fewer than two changes per year over the last five years.

> Alternatively, implement your own integrated DHCP
> server and caching DNS server.
>
> Low-cost solutions include:
>
> 1.  Router appliance -- re-flashing the firmware with a FOSS firmware
> distribution like DD-WRT.
>
> 2.  Home-brew router using a PC -- installing a second NIC and a Linux
> or BSD router distribution like IPCop or pfSense.

So the general opinion held around here is that it's "strange" not to
adopt one of these solutions on a home LAN. Really?

> I tried the former on an older Netgear device and it worked.  But when
> I later tried to flash an upgrade, I bricked it.

Great, just what I want to do. Not.

> I ran home-brew PC routers for years.  This approach gives you the
> most control, and pfSense rocks.  But, I burned up a lot of energy,
> made a lot of noise, and generated a lot of heat.  Unfortunately, ITX
> PC's with dual NIC's are too expensive.

Fine if someone else is paying the electricity and AC bills.

> So, I researched commercial products, asked around on Linux and BSD
> lists, and bought Ubiquiti Networks UniFi stuff:
>
>     https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/usg/
>
>     https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/
>

> I run the UniFi SDN Controller server on Debian:
>
>     https://www.ubnt.com/download/unifi/

Most of the eye-watering prices have 3 or 4 figures. Wouldn't it be
"strange" to be running this enterprise-grade kit on a home LAN?

> What do you mean by "The non-"computers" use the router's IP address
> for their configuration"?

The wireless ones need the SSID and PSK but the wired ones are
directly or indirectly connected to the router. However, the printer
(using WiFi) tries to set up some sort of ad hoc networking which
screws things up. IIRC (I'm not at home) I have to point it at the
router's address in some way. But these things are never well
documented; you're either meant to follow instructions on a tiny
display or be using some Windows or Mac software.

Cheers,
David.