Re: i386 version for chrome

[that in a previous message, Reco wrote:]

>>> interfaces(5), the usual place.
>>
>> I just checked that man page on wheezy, jessie and stretch, and no
>> examples are found using "netmask 24"
>
> You asked for 'format', not 'example'.
> The 'format' is defined at netmask under INET ADDRESS FAMILY.

In interfaces(5), you mean?

The definition for netmask I find in that section is
    netmask mask
        Netmask (dotted quad or CIDR)

which at a glance would lead me to expect a full CIDR-format address
(e.g., 192.168.1.1/24) here. That would clearly seem redundant with the
address field immediately above, but I don't know of anything else
that's consistent with CIDR notation.

I'm not saying that using just the bit count in that field doesn't work;
I haven't tested it, and I have no particular reason to doubt your
testimony on the subject. But I don't see anything in the documentation
which would lead me to expect it to work.

Is there something I'm missing which should lead me to that expectation?

>> Will have to be done from its own keyboard unless a ; to separate
>> them.
>
> Gene, if I needed a *normal* result of this sequence I'd asked for
> one. What I've asked was a *broken* one, which does not get a default
> route as a result.

If I'm understanding what I've read in this thread to date correctly,
he's said that the problem *only* happens at boot time, not when he
issues commands manually.

If correct, that would be a reason why he wanted to know how to make the
boot-time invocations go into the system log, so that he can review what
they report in appropriate detail (and/or share it, for others to
review). It would also be a reason for making the boot-time invocations
fully verbose, at least temporarily.

--
   The Wanderer