Re: i386 version for chrome

On Sunday 28 October 2018 06:30:32 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 05:59:52AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 October 2018 02:55:09 Reco wrote:
> > > 	Hi.

> > That is the problem, a route -n is without a gateway assignment and
> > has been missing since my first attempt to install stretch.
>
> Ok.

> > > Not before you bring up any non-local network interface.
> >
> > Then why, after giving the installer all that info, and it uses that
> > during the install, does it not have a gateway set after the initial
> > reboot or any subsequent reboot?
>
> Works for me every time I tried it, so I cannot answer that.
>
> > And nothing you can do will give it a gateway, so you wind up
> > playing 10,000 monkeys writing Shakespear, and a reboot for every
> > session of nano trying to find the magic twanger that makes it work?
> > I have made jessie work on an armhf but its been done after the
> > initial reboot.  An armbian install that claims its debian 9, is the
> > only install out of 5 or 6 from various sources including the
> > debian-arm iso twice.
> >
> > For the jessie install on an r-pi-3b, this /e/n/i works:
> >
> > auto lo
> >
> > # The loopback network interface
> > iface lo inet loopback
> > address 127.0.0.1
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> >
> > auto eth0
> >
> > # regular network for coyote.den
> > iface eth0 inet static
> > address 192.168.NN.12
> > netmask 255.255.255.0
> > gateway 192.168.NN.1
> >
> > but it doesn't work if the interface address is given in address/24
> > format so the netmask isn't needed.
>
> Ever consider you're doing it the wrong way?
> This will work:
>
> iface eth0 inet static
> 	address 192.168.NN.12
> 	netmask 24
> 	gateway 192.168.NN.1

in 20 years, I have never seen that syntax used. What man page do I find
that format in.

> > To me, thats all the evidence needed
> > to point the guilty finger at something in the ifup code.
>
> Accusing software of something may ease one's mind, but it won't make
> it work. Usually, that is.

> > > By using ifupdown, for instance.

> They have this wonderful principle at movie industry - show but do not
> tell.
> Please provide 'ifup -v' output that shows ifupdown misbehaviour, or
> it did not happen.

Now that I know theres a new syntax in town, I'll try it. When the next
install fails.

> > > ifupdown works for me that way since etch was testing.
> > > If it does not - there's always troubleshooting in form of 'ifup
> > > -v'.
> >
> > As in "ifup -vvv eth0"?
>
> -vvv is not documented, and I'm too lazy to dig into the source to see
> if it does something at all.
>
> ifdown eth0
> ifup -v eth0
>
> > What log file, on stretch, would I find that trace data in?
>
> Stdout/stderr, as documented by ifup(8).

Too volatile, scrolled off screen by the remainder of the boot. I want a
log file I can insert into an email. Then we'll all see whats happening.

> > Theres not anything in /v/l/syslog w/o the -v.
>
> And there should not be anything about ifupdown, unless someone
> redirects stdout/stderr of /etc/init.d/networking to syslog.

Howto?

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)