Re: i386 version for chrome

On Sunday 28 October 2018 02:55:09 Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 05:35:49PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 October 2018 14:37:38 Reco wrote:
> > > 	Hi.

> > > In another news, you cannot have a default gateway unless it's
> > > reachable according to existing routing table.

That is the problem, a route -n is without a gateway assignment and has
been missing since my first attempt to install stretch.

> > Its reachable, and listed in every hosts file here by both name and
> > address.
>
> Not before you bring up any non-local network interface.

Then why, after giving the installer all that info, and it uses that
during the install, does it not have a gateway set after the initial
reboot or any subsequent reboot?

And nothing you can do will give it a gateway, so you wind up playing
10,000 monkeys writing Shakespear, and a reboot for every session of
nano trying to find the magic twanger that makes it work? I have made
jessie work on an armhf but its been done after the initial reboot.  An
armbian install that claims its debian 9, is the only install out of 5
or 6 from various sources including the debian-arm iso twice.

For the jessie install on an r-pi-3b, this /e/n/i works:

auto lo

# The loopback network interface
iface lo inet loopback
address 127.0.0.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

auto eth0

# regular network for coyote.den
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.NN.12
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.NN.1

but it doesn't work if the interface address is given in address/24
format so the netmask isn't needed. To me, thats all the evidence needed
to point the guilty finger at something in the ifup code.

> > > The reason is simple - a default gateway is not 'global', the
> > > kernel must decide with interface to attach to a default gateway
> > > route. So you bring a network interface up, add an address to it
> > > and only then configure a default gateway.
> >
> > Then how does one guarantee its done in that order?
>
> By using ifupdown, for instance.
>
> > And what was changed
> > to prevent its working in the newer way of doing things?
>
> ifupdown works for me that way since etch was testing.
> If it does not - there's always troubleshooting in form of 'ifup -v'.

As in "ifup -vvv eth0"?

What log file, on stretch, would I find that trace data in? Theres not
anything in /v/l/syslog w/o the -v. And theres nothing more frustrating
than a silent failure like this has been so far.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)