Re: i386 version for chrome

	Hi.

On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 05:59:52AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 28 October 2018 02:55:09 Reco wrote:
>
> > 	Hi.

> That is the problem, a route -n is without a gateway assignment and has
> been missing since my first attempt to install stretch.

Ok.

> > > Its reachable, and listed in every hosts file here by both name and
> > > address.
> >
> > Not before you bring up any non-local network interface.
>
> Then why, after giving the installer all that info, and it uses that
> during the install, does it not have a gateway set after the initial
> reboot or any subsequent reboot?

Works for me every time I tried it, so I cannot answer that.

> And nothing you can do will give it a gateway, so you wind up playing
> 10,000 monkeys writing Shakespear, and a reboot for every session of
> nano trying to find the magic twanger that makes it work? I have made
> jessie work on an armhf but its been done after the initial reboot.  An
> armbian install that claims its debian 9, is the only install out of 5
> or 6 from various sources including the debian-arm iso twice.
>
> For the jessie install on an r-pi-3b, this /e/n/i works:
>
> auto lo
>
> # The loopback network interface
> iface lo inet loopback
> address 127.0.0.1
> netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> auto eth0
>
> # regular network for coyote.den
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.NN.12
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.NN.1
>
> but it doesn't work if the interface address is given in address/24
> format so the netmask isn't needed.

Ever consider you're doing it the wrong way?
This will work:

iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.NN.12
	netmask 24
	gateway 192.168.NN.1

> To me, thats all the evidence needed
> to point the guilty finger at something in the ifup code.

Accusing software of something may ease one's mind, but it won't make it
work. Usually, that is.

> > > Then how does one guarantee its done in that order?
> >
> > By using ifupdown, for instance.
> >
> > > And what was changed
> > > to prevent its working in the newer way of doing things?

They have this wonderful principle at movie industry - show but do not
tell.
Please provide 'ifup -v' output that shows ifupdown misbehaviour, or it
did not happen.

> > ifupdown works for me that way since etch was testing.
> > If it does not - there's always troubleshooting in form of 'ifup -v'.
>
> As in "ifup -vvv eth0"?

-vvv is not documented, and I'm too lazy to dig into the source to see
if it does something at all.

ifdown eth0
ifup -v eth0

> What log file, on stretch, would I find that trace data in?

Stdout/stderr, as documented by ifup(8).

> Theres not anything in /v/l/syslog w/o the -v.

And there should not be anything about ifupdown, unless someone
redirects stdout/stderr of /etc/init.d/networking to syslog.

Reco