Re: i386 version for chrome

On Saturday 27 October 2018 11:09:48 Steve McIntyre wrote:

> Gene Heskett wrote:
> >On Saturday 27 October 2018 09:58:45 Curt wrote:
> >
> >root@coyote:/home/gene/Downloads# dpkg -i
> >vivaldi-stable_2.1.1337.36-1_i386.deb
> >Selecting previously unselected package vivaldi-stable.
> >(Reading database ... 517038 files and directories currently
> > installed.) Unpacking vivaldi-stable (from
> > vivaldi-stable_2.1.1337.36-1_i386.deb) ...
> >
> >dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of vivaldi-stable:
> > vivaldi-stable depends on libappindicator3-1; however:
> >  Package libappindicator3-1 is not installed.
> >
> > vivaldi-stable depends on libc6 (>= 2.16); however:
> >  Version of libc6:i386 on system is 2.13-38+deb7u12.
> >
> > vivaldi-stable depends on libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.9.10); however:
> >  Version of libgtk-3-0:i386 on system is 3.4.2-7+deb7u1.
> >
> > vivaldi-stable depends on libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0); however:
> >  Package libpango-1.0-0 is not installed.
> >
> > vivaldi-stable depends on libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0); however:
> >  Package libpangocairo-1.0-0 is not installed.
> >
> >dpkg: error processing vivaldi-stable (--install):
> > dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> >Processing triggers for menu ...
> >Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> >Errors were encountered while processing:
> > vivaldi-stable
> >
> >So its not going to work on a 32 bit wheezy, ever.
>
> That's hardly a surprise. Wheezy was released over 5 years ago, and
> isn't even in LTS any more.
>
> >I'll update this machine to a 64 bit stretch if and when the network
> >works again. Armbian is now working on a rock64, but thats the only
> >variety of nix for arm64 that will accept and use a gateway statement
> >in its net config
>
> You keep on asserting this, but it's patently not true. That's a
> standard feature of Debian on all architectures. I understand you've
> seen problems, but it just needs debugging to see how things were
> broken in your case. :-(

Then give me an install that can be made to work in a hosts file defined
local network that can accept a gateway statement in its e/n/i file. The
default install does NOT accept it until the network has been brought
up.  And the syntax for the deprecated route command is too complex to
remember, then everybody wants me to use ip-(mumble) for that without
anything that resembles a man page to tell me how to use it for that.
Thats the singular most obtuse man pages group I've tried to make sense
of in 35+ years of making networks work starting even before Hayes
modems were the default.

The arm64 stretch install has, as e/n/i.d/eth0:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.NN.2/24
gateway 192.168.NN.1
dns-nameserver 192.168.NN.1
dns-search hosts dns

And that works, I just got it from that machine with an ssh login.

So all the stuff that used to be in e/resolv.conf is now in that file,
but no one in 2 damned years of my asking questions has ever mentioned
that its been moved or why. To add to the confusion, /etc/resolv.conf is
now a link that returns a list of nameservers only. But is there any
documentation for all the shuffling? Not thats been converted to a utf8
file I can peruse and learn from.

Sorry Steve, but your claim that its simply not true, pulls my trigger,
best to duck. And maybe fix a few man pages. Please. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)