Re: i386 version for chrome

Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Saturday 27 October 2018 11:09:48 Steve McIntyre wrote:
>>
>> You keep on asserting this, but it's patently not true. That's a
>> standard feature of Debian on all architectures. I understand you've
>> seen problems, but it just needs debugging to see how things were
>> broken in your case. :-(
>
>Then give me an install that can be made to work in a hosts file defined
>local network that can accept a gateway statement in its e/n/i file. The
>default install does NOT accept it until the network has been brought
>up.  And the syntax for the deprecated route command is too complex to
>remember, then everybody wants me to use ip-(mumble) for that without
>anything that resembles a man page to tell me how to use it for that.
>Thats the singular most obtuse man pages group I've tried to make sense
>of in 35+ years of making networks work starting even before Hayes
>modems were the default.

Right. The ip-* man pages are atrocious, I won't argue - they're
basically not human-readable. :-(

>The arm64 stretch install has, as e/n/i.d/eth0:

Checking: is that straight Debian stretch, or some derivative?

>auto eth0
>iface eth0 inet static
>address 192.168.NN.2/24
>gateway 192.168.NN.1
>dns-nameserver 192.168.NN.1
>dns-search hosts dns

I'm assuming that "NN" is a placeholder you've added, and not copied
verbatim from the file!

Otherwise, that last line looks suspect. The "dns-nameserver" and
"dns-search" lines are instructions for resolvconf when setting up
networking. The "dns-search" line is meant to be passed straight
through into resolv.conf to set up a DNS search path. A valid example
from the resolvconf man page is "dns-search foo.org bar.com". What
that means is that each time you look up something that's no
fully-qualified (e.g. "foo"), this machine will be looking for
"foo.hosts" then "foo.dns". That's probably not what you
want. However, it'll be harmless if you're looking up FQDN hostnames
all the time.

>And that works, I just got it from that machine with an ssh login.
>
>So all the stuff that used to be in e/resolv.conf is now in that file,
>but no one in 2 damned years of my asking questions has ever mentioned
>that its been moved or why. To add to the confusion, /etc/resolv.conf is
>now a link that returns a list of nameservers only. But is there any
>documentation for all the shuffling? Not thats been converted to a utf8
>file I can peruse and learn from.

This is down to the resolvconf package, which is often pulled in via
Recommends: from other packages. For a simple network with simple
needs, you shouldn't need to use it. It should work for you,
though. It manages resolv.conf, hence wanting to move the normal
config from that file.

If you *don't* have resolvconf installed, putting the details in
/etc/resolv.conf still works, and it's how I configure static things
on my own network (e.g. on the gateway/router box).

>Sorry Steve, but your claim that its simply not true, pulls my trigger,
>best to duck.

I understand - I've seen you're struggling, but I know this stuff
works on lots of other machines. There's nothing broken here on
standard Debian on any architecture that I know of. *However*,
remotely debugging what other thing might be causing your woes is
really difficult.

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html