Re: i386 version for chrome

On Sat, 2018-10-27 at 13:13 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> [...]
> > >
> > > vivaldi-stable depends on libc6 (>= 2.16); however:
> > >  Version of libc6:i386 on system is 2.13-38+deb7u12.
> > >
> > > vivaldi-stable depends on libgtk-3-0 (>= 3.9.10); however:
> > >  Version of libgtk-3-0:i386 on system is 3.4.2-7+deb7u1.
> > >
> > > vivaldi-stable depends on libpango-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0); however:
> > >  Package libpango-1.0-0 is not installed.
> > >
> > > vivaldi-stable depends on libpangocairo-1.0-0 (>= 1.14.0);
> however:
> > >  Package libpangocairo-1.0-0 is not installed.
> > >
> > >dpkg: error processing vivaldi-stable (--install):
> > > dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
> > >Processing triggers for menu ...
> > >Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
> > >Errors were encountered while processing:
> > > vivaldi-stable
> > >
> > >So its not going to work on a 32 bit wheezy, ever.
> >
> > That's hardly a surprise. Wheezy was released over 5 years ago, and
> > isn't even in LTS any more.
> >
> > >I'll update this machine to a 64 bit stretch if and when the
> network
> > >works again. Armbian is now working on a rock64, but thats the only
> > >variety of nix for arm64 that will accept and use a gateway
> statement
> > >in its net config
> >
> > You keep on asserting this, but it's patently not true. That's a
> > standard feature of Debian on all architectures. I understand you've
> > seen problems, but it just needs debugging to see how things were
> > broken in your case. :-(
>
> Then give me an install that can be made to work in a hosts file
> defined
> local network that can accept a gateway statement in its e/n/i file.
> The
> default install does NOT accept it until the network has been brought
> up.  And the syntax for the deprecated route command is too complex
> remember, then everybody wants me to use ip-(mumble) for that without
> anything that resembles a man page to tell me how to use it for
> that.
> Thats the singular most obtuse man pages group I've tried to make
> sense
> of in 35+ years of making networks work starting even before Hayes
> modems were the default.
>
> The arm64 stretch install has, as e/n/i.d/eth0:
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
> address 192.168.NN.2/24
> gateway 192.168.NN.1
> dns-nameserver 192.168.NN.1
> dns-search hosts dns
>
> And that works, I just got it from that machine with an ssh login.
>
> So all the stuff that used to be in e/resolv.conf is now in that
> file,
> but no one in 2 damned years of my asking questions has ever
> mentioned
> that its been moved or why. To add to the confusion, /etc/resolv.conf
> is
> now a link that returns a list of nameservers only. But is there any
> documentation for all the shuffling? Not thats been converted to a

#===

source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug enp0s18
iface enp0s18 inet static
  address 192.168.1.60/24
  gateway 192.168.1.1
  dns-nameserver 192.168.1.60
  dns-nameserver 192.168.1.4
  dns-search xxxxxx.org
#===
This /etc/network/interfaces file has been in use for 2+ years through
several upgrades without issues, so it might not be a really bad pattern
to look at. The nameservers at .60 and .4 are authoritative for
xxxxxx.org and refer other requests to opendns.

> Sorry Steve, but your claim that its simply not true, pulls my
> trigger,
> best to duck. And maybe fix a few man pages. Please. ;-)
>
> --
> Cheers, Gene Heskett
> --
> -Ed Howdershelt (Author)