Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

On Wednesday 17 October 2018 05:38:38 Morel Bérenger wrote:

> Le Wed, 17 Oct 2018 04:40:49 -0400,
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> a écrit :
> > On Wednesday 17 October 2018 04:00:37 Morel Bérenger wrote:

> > > Also, I wonder if you tried to do that through, for example
> > > Xephyr? Might workaround the issue you have?
> >
> > Well I was just reminded that gksudo works. Now what the heck is
> > Xephyr? Google says its x on x, whatever that means. I'll try to
> > remember that and play with it if its available for wheezy & later.
> >
> > Thanks Morel Bérenger.
>
> The ncurses mode of aptitude says Xephyr is a X server that can be
> executed inside another X server, more or less like Xnest (or xming,
> for people like me that had to work on a windows station but wanted to
> keep a nice wm embedded on personal hardware ;)).
>
> I can not really explain how this works, but in short you could
> consider a remote system providing the performances stuff (hard disk
> space, strong CPU, tons or RAM...) and opening the X session on local
> systems.
> I think it might fix your problem because basically, su-programs
> (probably PAM modules, in fact) do some security related checks to
> avoid passwords to be sniffed by a client on another computer: which
> is what I would expect a ssh -Y gksudo do.
>
> If my explanation is not clear (and I'm certain of it), it's because I
> don't really master that side of systems, sorry for that :)

You at least, dug deep enough to see that pam was probably the guilty
party, same conclusion I reached. Unforch, removing pam also pretty much
nukes the whole system.

And I'm not seeing well enough to expound at length, cataract operation
this morning.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)