Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

On Wednesday 17 October 2018 04:00:37 Morel Bérenger wrote:

> Le Tue, 16 Oct 2018 17:53:37 -0400,
>
> Gene Heskett <gheskett@shentel.net> a écrit :
> > >
> > > I don't know what you mean by this.  I just performed the
> > > following experiment on my stretch workstation (wooledg), in
> > > communications with a stretch server (arc3) elsewhere on our
> > > network.
> > >
> > > 1) Already logged into wooledg, I opened a new urxvt window.
> > >
> > > 2) In this window, I typed: ssh -Y arc3
> > >
> > > 3) After authenticating to arc3 with a password, at the shell
> > > prompt, I typed: xterm
> > >
> > > 4) After a moment, a new xterm window appeared on my display.
> >
> > Thats expected. Now enter synaptic-pkexec. It should ask you, if you
> > are user 1000, for a passwd and given it, it will run. But after
> > wheezy, its not possible. LinuxCNC's graphics needs are modest, and
> > it will run, as the user. But its not root. And root is denied
> > regardless of how you go about obtaining root permissions.
>
> Also, I wonder if you tried to do that through, for example Xephyr?
> Might workaround the issue you have?

Well I was just reminded that gksudo works. Now what the heck is Xephyr?
Google says its x on x, whatever that means. I'll try to remember that
and play with it if its available for wheezy & later.

Thanks Morel Bérenger.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)