Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 05:28:04PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 11:18:10AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > >The packagers, who probably have a better overall view of just
> > > what this thing called systemd is, should be speaking up to
> > > confirm or dispel this rumor

I thought it was a reasonable question, and I didn't start that rumor.
Like most however, I am seeing our community shooting at each other and
I don't like it.

I didn't see a question: I saw an assertion that the systemd packagers
should take some action.

Starting rumors is like being patient 0 in a pandemic It's useful to
know who/where/what patient 0 is/was, but stopping the pandemic means
stopping the carriers.

The point is that no one from the systemd camp has, to my knowledge,
posted a list of things it can do better than sysvinit. Point out
sysvinit's warts, and what systemd does to excise the ugly stuff.

But there has been zero salesmanship that has reached my environment.

My first reaction to this was amazement that you could have missed this
stuff, of which there is plenty. But, on reflection, many people will
have missed it, because of the terrible signal:noise ratio whenever the
topic comes up.

Why is this? If there is a url explaining this, please post, so the rest
of us can be educated.

I'm not going to advocate for systemd, and if you want to evaluate it
for your own use, please do so actively, not passively. It would wise
also to ask general questions about it on its own mailing list(s) rather
than here. I will, however, re-post one URI I posted in another reply
(regarding security). It's the twelfth post in a series of in-depth,
technical focus articles that talk about the things you can do with
systemd. If you truly are interested in checking it out, then this
series is a good place to start.

http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/security.html

I'm sure I am not the only one laying back to see the casualty
list before I commit to diving in head first.

Fair enough holding off on looking at it; but please don't ask people to
spoon-feed the salient points afterwards. Some of us are already
forgetting life under sysvinit, so it's getting harder by the day to try
and answer the question of why we switched in retrospect.

Doing some research would also help you to answer your own question as
to the likelyhood of it being an NSA/Microsoft/alien plot etc.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland