Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

On 2018-10-16 22:53, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Tuesday 16 October 2018 13:11:45 Greg Wooledge wrote:

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 12:43:40PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> #1 is ssh -Y has been killed from jessie on. No excuse for doing it
> and bug filing is ignored.

I don't know what you mean by this.  I just performed the following
experiment on my stretch workstation (wooledg), in communications with
a stretch server (arc3) elsewhere on our network.

1) Already logged into wooledg, I opened a new urxvt window.

2) In this window, I typed: ssh -Y arc3

3) After authenticating to arc3 with a password, at the shell prompt,
I typed: xterm

4) After a moment, a new xterm window appeared on my display.

Thats expected. Now enter synaptic-pkexec. It should ask you, if you are user 1000, for a passwd and given it, it will run. But after wheezy, its
not possible. LinuxCNC's graphics needs are modest, and it will run, as
the user. But its not root.

seems correct you can't use X over ssh as root.
I don't know why but always seemed wrong running X as root.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31