Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

On Tuesday 16 October 2018 19:01:53 David Wright wrote:

> [...]
> > > communications with a stretch server (arc3) elsewhere on our
> > > network.
> > >
> > > 1) Already logged into wooledg, I opened a new urxvt window.
> > >
> > > 2) In this window, I typed: ssh -Y arc3
> > >
> > > 3) After authenticating to arc3 with a password, at the shell
> > > prompt, I typed: xterm
> > >
> > > 4) After a moment, a new xterm window appeared on my display.
> >
> > Thats expected. Now enter synaptic-pkexec. It should ask you, if you
> > are user 1000, for a passwd and given it, it will run. But after
> > wheezy, its not possible. LinuxCNC's graphics needs are modest, and
> > it will run, as the user. But its not root. And root is denied
> > regardless of how you go about obtaining root permissions.  For me,
> > its a right PITA because I am forced to goto that machines
> > keyboard/monitor location when there is something I need to install.
> > And those, with a single exception, are all standup, look up at the
> > monitor and get a sore neck from tilting ones head back far enough
> > to get the bi section of my trifocals up so I can read what the
> > monitor is telling me. I presume all this discomfort is the result
> > of somebody deciding that root cannot be trusted to export the gui
> > of the program he wants to run.
> >
> > That to me is quite similar to the warm, sometimes steaming
> > green/brown piles of used food for the male of the bovine specie.
> >
> > It is my machine, let me run it the way /I/ want.
> >
> > > 5) Inside this xterm, to confirm that the xterm was running on
> > > arc3, I typed: uname -a
> > >
> > > Terminal sessions shown without modification:
> > >
> > > =====================================================
> > > wooledg:~$ ssh -Y arc3
> > > wooledg@arc3's password:
> > > Linux arc3 4.9.0-8-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u5
> > > (2018-09-30) i686
> > >
> > > The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free
> > > software; the exact distribution terms for each program are
> > > described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
> > >
> > > Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> > > permitted by applicable law.
> > > Last login: Mon Oct  1 17:18:16 2018 from 10.76.172.97
> > > $ xterm
> > >
> > > =====================================================
> > > $ uname -a
> > > Linux arc3 4.9.0-8-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u5
> > > (2018-09-30) i686 GNU/Linux $
> > > =====================================================
> > >
> > > So, I don't know why you believe that ssh's -Y option has been
> > > "killed". If you are having trouble with it, start a new thread
> > > and we can try to help you figure out what's wrong.
> >
> > See above, and tell me again that its not /now/ broken. I need some
> > levity at my age.
> >
> > As for the new thread, I have posted to this list 3 or 4 times about
> > this and got nothing but crickets. After a while, one gets the
> > impression its a verboten question.
>
> I was under the impression that your ssh X forwarding problem was

No, but never having gotten into the habit of using it, I had forgotten
about it already. Its working on jessie (armhf) now try stretch (arm64)
I didn't have to enter my pw for jessie, but had to on stretch but both
are running, so lets see if stretch actually works. Yes, now to paint it
on the wall so I don't forget again. :(

Other things on my mind, like the cataract op on my right eye at 7AM, an
hour north of here.  Or we could blame it on oldtimers, I have fought
with this for 2 years!

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)