Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

On Tue 16 Oct 2018 at 17:53:37 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 October 2018 13:11:45 Greg Wooledge wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 12:43:40PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > #1 is ssh -Y has been killed from jessie on. No excuse for doing it
> > > and bug filing is ignored.
> >
> > I don't know what you mean by this.  I just performed the following
> > experiment on my stretch workstation (wooledg), in communications with
> > a stretch server (arc3) elsewhere on our network.
> >
> > 1) Already logged into wooledg, I opened a new urxvt window.
> >
> > 2) In this window, I typed: ssh -Y arc3
> >
> > 3) After authenticating to arc3 with a password, at the shell prompt,
> > I typed: xterm
> >
> > 4) After a moment, a new xterm window appeared on my display.
>
> Thats expected. Now enter synaptic-pkexec. It should ask you, if you are
> user 1000, for a passwd and given it, it will run. But after wheezy, its
> not possible. LinuxCNC's graphics needs are modest, and it will run, as
> the user. But its not root. And root is denied regardless of how you go
> about obtaining root permissions.  For me, its a right PITA because I am
> forced to goto that machines keyboard/monitor location when there is
> something I need to install. And those, with a single exception, are all
> standup, look up at the monitor and get a sore neck from tilting ones
> head back far enough to get the bi section of my trifocals up so I can
> read what the monitor is telling me. I presume all this discomfort is
> the result of somebody deciding that root cannot be trusted to export
> the gui of the program he wants to run.
>
> That to me is quite similar to the warm, sometimes steaming green/brown
> piles of used food for the male of the bovine specie.
>
> It is my machine, let me run it the way /I/ want.
>

> > 5) Inside this xterm, to confirm that the xterm was running on arc3,
> >    I typed: uname -a
> >
> > Terminal sessions shown without modification:

> > wooledg:~$ ssh -Y arc3
> > wooledg@arc3's password:
> > Linux arc3 4.9.0-8-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u5 (2018-09-30)
> > i686
> >
> > The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free
> > software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described
> > in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.
> >
> > Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
> > permitted by applicable law.
> > Last login: Mon Oct  1 17:18:16 2018 from 10.76.172.97
> > $ xterm

> > $ uname -a
> > Linux arc3 4.9.0-8-686-pae #1 SMP Debian 4.9.110-3+deb9u5 (2018-09-30)
> > i686 GNU/Linux $
> >
> > So, I don't know why you believe that ssh's -Y option has been
> > "killed". If you are having trouble with it, start a new thread and we
> > can try to help you figure out what's wrong.
>
> See above, and tell me again that its not /now/ broken. I need some
> levity at my age.
>
> As for the new thread, I have posted to this list 3 or 4 times about this
> [...]

I was under the impression that your ssh X forwarding problem was fixed
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/09/msg00836.html as was your
synaptic problem https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/09/msg00870.html
or have you changed your mind?

Cheers,