Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 16:54:48 +0100
Jonathan Dowland <jmtd@debian.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 11:18:10AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >The packagers, who probably have a better overall view of just what
> >this thing called systemd is, should be speaking up to confirm or
> >dispel this rumor
>
> Why waste time giving credence to nonsense? Those who are prepared to
> believe that systemd is some NSA trojan via a complicit Red Hat are
> perfectly able to widen their paranoia to include any systemd packager
> or advocate in Debian.

I would have thought that the nonsense would be to assert that there is
any operating system in use today which is not completely transparent to
the US government, and maybe others. I'm quite confident that gcc and
every other capable publicly-available C compiler is compromised in the
way demonstrated more than thirty years ago.

In the same way, I assume my Internet router leaks like a sieve, along
with all other network equipment more complex than a hub. We know that
there is an additional CPU built into Intel processors, and I certainly
wouldn't assume that the same isn't true of AMD. And why store computer
logs in a way not readable by the computer's owner using simple
software? There's only one plausible reason.

It doesn't bother me: I'm of no interest to the people who run things,
and if I were to take up nefarious activities in the future, I wouldn't
rely on high technology for my communications and record-keeping. My
only real concern is that the CIA et al seem to be remarkably poor at
keeping their eavesdropping tools to themselves.

--
Joe