Re: Micro-report: using Stable without systemd

Le Sun, 14 Oct 2018 10:23:15 -0400,
Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> a écrit :

> I have encountered no problems that can be attributed to my choice of
> init system.

Doing the same. Works fine, except the fact network interfaces that are
using DHCPCD but are unplugged slow down the boot process *a lot*.
I could only solve that point by no longer
using /etc/network/interfaces and initialising stuff by hand in a
home-made service script (using runit on top of sysV here, so that's
pretty easy to do).

However, I would like to point out that the best way to have really no
traces of systemd in a system after a fresh install is to use
(c)debootstrap in minimal flavour, chroot in the resulting system,
install sysVinit, then the init metapackage (optional, obviously, but
may avoid problems from upgrades), all the stuff a working Debian needs
(netbase, kernel, etc...).

This is the only way to avoid having users and groups lying around for
nothing, or other stuff (files in /var, maybe  units (never really
checked)... ).
This is what I'm doing through a PXE installation that auto-installs
systems.

Concerning the fact systemd-udev's developers do not intend to support
non-systemd inits, I guess the best would be to port the Devuan's eudev
package to Debian.
That would probably not be that hard, and might become something I'll
need to do for work someday.