Re: jessie and stretch time problem

On Sun 14 Oct 2018 at 17:21:43 +0300, Reco wrote:

> 	Hi.
>
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 09:22:53AM -0400, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:

> > > I see. Perhaps this is the root of the problem. On the other
> > > hand, perhaps, systemd is taking care of time in stretch by
> > > default. In that case I can't help, since my knowledge of
> > > systemd is minimal.
> >

> > I was going to bring this up yesterday, just couldn't rope the words
> > in together. With debootstrap, one step the user manually does is
> > this:
> >
> > +++ QUOTE k/t https://www.debian.org/releases/buster/amd64/apds03.en.html +++
>
> That guide contains curious relics of the past that include, but aren't
> limited to:
>
> 1) 'lo' interface in /etc/network/interfaces - unneeded even with
> stretch's ifupdown.

Good catch. It could be omitted or tagged as optional, as broadcast
and gateway are in the following stanza.

> 2) 'hostname' record in /etc/hosts - unneeded with libnss-myhostname.

The 127.0.1.1 line? It took us ages to get to this - something which
works.

> 3) '.local' domain at /etc/resolv.conf - a direct violation of RFC 6762.

An example - but a very bad one. Another good catch.

> 4) At controversial (to say the least) recommendation to use 'deb-src'
> of Debian main suite without actually specifying 'deb'.

These are additional examples. Unless I am misunderstanding you, it's
ok.

> 5) The /etc/adjtime configuration itself.
> Systemd defaults to UTC - src/timedate/timedated.c in systemd source
> tree.
> If needed, one can use timedatectl(1) to produce perfectly valid
> /etc/adjtime.

That's correct but I've never experienced the installer not giving a
user an /etc/adjtime.

At present there is an effort to update documentation for buster. Get
your bug report in. Don't delay!

--
Brian.