Re: Upgrading with a low data cap

On Tuesday, October 09, 2018 04:01:49 PM Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 October 2018 12:20:25 Brian wrote:
> > It's about time some invented a WiFi device which plugs into a USB
> > port.
>
> Not needed, you can buy such a dongle from netgear for at least half a
> decade or longer. I was out of ports on the 4 port in the shop, so I
> bought one, moved an old router (running dd-wrt) out there and turned
> its radio on, and rigged a teeny desk for my lappy so I could ssh into
> the machines and write gcode in the comfort of a folding chair, then
> exercise it while being able to see the machine move. But I had to turn
> the radio off because it was also bridged to the main router, and thence
> to the backbone.  One of my neighbors got by the simple ssid, and used
> 80 gigs of my bandwidth one month so the radio got turned off and I now
> have it hardwired when its out there. So now the radios stay off unless
> one of my boys brings in a smartphone and needs a connection.

And that reminds me that there are also somewhat similar devices that plug
into a USB port and provide (in my case) 4 more USB ports and one RJ-45
Ethernet port.  I bought a couple of those on eBay (surely from the far east)
for less than $10 each a few years ago.

I use them to connect tablets without Ethernet ports to my LAN.

I suppose you could then plug the Ethernet into a WiFi adapter, but I've never
tried that, and I'd begin to worry that some timing issue or similar might
prevent it from working.