Re: Grub-less installation of stretch

On Mon 08 Oct 2018 at 23:41:44 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> Le 08/10/2018 à 22:23, David Wright a écrit :
> > On Mon 08 Oct 2018 at 20:20:24 (+0200), Pascal Hambourg wrote:
> >
> > > So it may be advisable to install at least grub-common and use
> > > grub-mkconfig to generate /boot/grub/grub.cfg. If you also want to
> > > automatically update grub.cfg after a kernel package installation or
> > > removal, you may either install grub-pc (or any other grub flavour
> > > available in the arch) - without installing the boot loader - or
> > > create your own scripts in /etc/kernel/post{inst,rm}.d/ to do
> > > basically the same as zz-update-grub provided by grub-pc.
> >
> > OK. I think I'll install those as grub does seem to do some reasonably
> > complicated stuff which I don't fancy duplicating.
>
> zz-update-grub is a very simple script. Basically it just checks the
> presence of update-grub and runs it. A custom script would just need
> to call grub-mkconfig.

I guess if I only install grub-common, I can provide my own
update-grub in /usr/local/bin which could run grub-mkconfig
but also remind me that I need to rerun grub in the other
system to update the "real" grub.cfg.

> > The main thing is
> > for me to check that nothing can touch the MBR
>
> Then you can install grub-efi. It won't ever write anything to the
> MBR. But if an EFI partition is mounted on /boot/efi, it will write on
> it and will try to register in the EFI NVRAM boot variables.

That's a neat trick. But I'll probably just avoid packages like
grub-pc and grub2-common.

Cheers,
David.