Re: Problem updating to Buster - gparted effectively MIA

	Hi.

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 08:46:21AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> > No, stay in stretch.
> >
> > 1) Become root.
> >
> > 2) Mount buster installation in, say, /mnt.
> >
> > 3) Classic chroot sequence:
> >
> > mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
> > mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
> > mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
> > chroot /mnt /bin/bash
> > # You're in chroot now
> > # Do not leave until instructed
> >
> > 4) Prevent buster services from running:
> >
> > cat > /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d << EOF
> > echo All rc operations are disabled by policy: \$1 \$2
> > exit 101
> > EOF
> >
> > chmod 754 /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d
> >
> > 5) Hard part starts here:
> >
> > dpkg --configure -a
> > apt update
> > apt upgrade -s
> >

> > 6) Cleanup:
> >
> > rm -f /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d
> > exit
> > # You left chroot
> >
> > 7) Finally:
> >
> > umount -l /mnt/proc
> > umount -l /mnt/sys
> > umount -l /mnt/dev
> > umount -l /mnt
> >
> > Reco
> >

> It seemed to run OK. The only errors/warnings were related to not being able to reach [http://deb.debian.org/...].
>
> It reported:
>    "259 packages can be upgraded."
> and
>    "210 upgraded, 201 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded."
>
> What, if anything, does that say about my upgrade from Stretch to Buster?

It was not completed, but it's fixable.

> I stated by running "script", so I have a log.

1) First things first.

Install 'screen' utility into stretch.
run 'screen' and do everything else there.
In case of any trouble (such as network connectivity loss), reestablish
your connection and run 'screen -DR'.

2) Mount chroot again (from inside the screen). Ensure you're able to
run 'apt-get update' without trouble, as you'll need it.

3) Perform the usual upgrade dance:

apt-get upgrade

apt-get dist-upgrade

The process will ask you questions (many questions, in fact), you're
assumed to choose answers wisely ;). Take special care while upgrading
grub.

4) Unmount chroot, exit screen (simple 'exit' should do it).

5) Reboot into your brand-new buster installation.

Reco