Re: Problem updating to Buster - gparted effectively MIA

On 10/07/2018 09:26 AM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 09:17:10AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 10/07/2018 08:52 AM, Reco wrote:
	Hi.

On Sun, Oct 07, 2018 at 08:14:05AM -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
It was recommended that I update to Buster.
I started with Debian 9.1.0 installed from purchased DVD1.
[MATE desktop]
I edited sources.list to access online repository.
I then followed the instructions at
[linuxconfig.org/how-to-upgrade-debian-9-stretch-to-debian-10-buster]
as it had everything conveniently shown.

That guide misses so crucial details and so barebone that it even feels
wrong.
I mean, there's the obligatory "backup your system first"?

*ROFL* I am a graduate of School of Hard Knocks, Slow Learner division.
I have a system on a flash drive backup.
I have TWO copies of my /home partition.

<Tips hat>

I installed stretch to another partition which I'm using now.
Is the Buster install repairable?

Depends. I'd start with chrooting into this "another partition" and
doing like something like this:

I've never used chroot - I wasn't clear on what happened on current system and what went on in the system chrooted to.

Are you saying to boot the "Buster" system and chroot into the known good Stretch system?

No, stay in stretch.

1) Become root.

2) Mount buster installation in, say, /mnt.

3) Classic chroot sequence:

mount -o bind /proc /mnt/proc
mount -o bind /sys /mnt/sys
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/dev
chroot /mnt /bin/bash
# You're in chroot now
# Do not leave until instructed

4) Prevent buster services from running:

cat > /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d << EOF
echo All rc operations are disabled by policy: \$1 \$2
exit 101
EOF

chmod 754 /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d

5) Hard part starts here:

dpkg --configure -a
apt update
apt upgrade -s

6) Cleanup:

rm -f /usr/sbin/policy-rc.d
exit
# You left chroot

7) Finally:

umount -l /mnt/proc
umount -l /mnt/sys
umount -l /mnt/dev
umount -l /mnt

Reco

It seemed to run OK. The only errors/warnings were related to not being able to reach [http://deb.debian.org/...].

It reported:
   "259 packages can be upgraded."
and
   "210 upgraded, 201 newly installed, 0 to remove and 49 not upgraded."

What, if anything, does that say about my upgrade from Stretch to Buster?
I stated by running "script", so I have a log.

Thank you.