Re: And yet another UEFI/BIOS question: Work on both.

On Sun 23 Sep 2018 at 17:58:08 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Sep 2018 17:20:05 -0400 Wayne Sallee <Wayne@WayneSallee.com> wrote:
>
> > Thank you for the 15 seconds of time that you spent. But that page
> > that you linked to is useless.
>
> That link is where you start: First, by building a foundation on the
> techniques of multi-booting; then expand on that with additional and
> more specific articles until you achieve understanding and can fulfill
> your task. This process has always worked great for me.  Takes longer,
> yes; but you end up knowing what you're doing and can anticipate
> potential problems. Using techniques and shortcuts others recommend
> without knowing what they really do is a recipe for disaster.  Or just
> folly.

You might think that from the name of the link, but the page fails to
live up to its promise. Some quotations:

"BIOS lives inside a chip on your computers motherboard. Inside the
BIOS, is a small section called “MBR”, which stands for “Master Boot
Record” and is often called “Boot record” or “Boot Sector” or
something like it."

"The BIOS/MBR is a TINY slice at the BEGINNING of your hard disk that
gets run as soon as you startup your computer."

"If you must have the improved UEFI/GPT, then either buy a new computer
(easier) or check if your existing computer is compatible with
UEFI/GPT, and have fun trying to convert it.

"Luckily for beginners, most of the Linux installers are pretty smart,
and you can let the installer do most of the partitioning if you just
create enough free space."

I fail to see how that kind of "information" starts to address what
the OP is trying to do.

> > > I recommend you learn how to use Google or DuckDuckGo, etc.
> > > searches for such basic queries. The following was the first result
> > > in the list of my search. Total time spent: about 15 seconds.
> > >
> > > https://truthseekers.io/everything-you-need-to-know-to-dual-boot-uefi-gpt-bios-mbr-partitions-swap-space-and-more/
> > >
> > > Also, read up on "chainloading."

Cheers,
David.