Re: Yet another UEFI/BIOS question

Le 20/09/2018 à 08:53, steve a écrit :

Le 19-09-2018, à 23:30:40 +0200, Pascal Hambourg a écrit :

Le 19/09/2018 à 16:50, steve a écrit :

Googling around, I suspect that these errors come from the fact that the
BIOS is configured to but in Legacy mode (aka Bios mode) rather than in
the more modern UEFI mode. Just an hypothesis.

But the problem is that my old sdd's have all (except /dev/sdd, which I just noticed) a msdos partition table:

So what ?

Nothing, I just noticed that while writing my message.

Why then did you mention the DOS partition tables as a problem ?

My questions are rather simple. Is it conceivable to convert the sdd's to gpt partition table (...) so I can switch my BIOS to UEFI?

You don't need to convert anything. UEFI can use DOS partition tables.

I know since that's what I'm currently doing.

Doing what ?
I am not talking about you doing anything. I am saying that native UEFI boot (NOT legacy boot) can use a disk with a DOS partition table, provided that it has an EFI system partition (Id 0xef).

But as mentioned in my
first message, I suspect the ACPI issues arising during boot time might
be linked to that fact. So that's why I'd like to try to be 100% UEFI
compliant.

Linked to what fact ? That the disks have DOS partition tables ? No way ACPI cares about that.

All you need is an EFI system partition. As you can see above, Windows already created one. You can mount it on /boot/efi and install GRUB EFI.

Do you mean that I can use the Windows disk to dual boot and leave alone
the sda disk where I have the GNU/Linux system installed on?

Yes.

Note that registering GRUB into the UEFI boot variables requires to boot in EFI mode. You can do it with a Debian installation or live image.

Does that mean that I cannot

1) mount /boot/efi on windows disk on Debian's /mnt

You cannot mount a directory on a disk. You can mount a filesystem on a directory. You can bind-mount a directory on another directory.
What do you mean about /mnt ? You don't need it.

2) install grub-efi on it
3) shutdown
4) modify the BIOS to load only in UEFI mode 5) reboot

Step 2 will fail if you booted in legacy mode. The final action is to inform the EFI firmware that you installed GRUB in the EFI partition, but this requires that EFI services are available. They are not when booting in legacy mode.