Re: painted into a corner

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 07:19:26PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Tue 21 Aug 2018 at 09:48:37 (+1000), Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 04:42:00PM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> > > But now, for no known reason, stretch's network has gone away.  And all
> > > the tools I am familiar with have been excised from stretch.  Sigh...
> >
> > Hm, frustrating.
> >
> > Networking should work roughly the same in both wheezy and stretch.
>
> Except you need to install net-tools (and perhaps add net.ifnames=0
> lest one comes face to face with monstrosities like enp1s0 :) )

Oh come on‼ Does anyone -really- think that enp1s0 is not the most
intuitive name, like ever like?  (Did I mention "like"?)

;)

> > If you want it auto shiny, just apt install network-manager
>
> Translation for Gene: that's ¹network-mangler :)
>
> ¹Disclaimer: I have no opinion as I don't install it.

Neither do I, ackshualley - except on computers I install for others,
since it generally works well enough that they don't thereafter need
to phone me in the thought that I am their personal help desk for
ever after. Especially in the dynamic laptop situation.