Re: painted into a corner

On Sunday 19 August 2018 17:33:32 David Wright wrote:

> On Sun 19 Aug 2018 at 15:40:55 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Greetings all;
> >
> > I just installed stretch to a fresh 2T HD. letting it autopartition
> > and format for separate /, swap, /var and /home partitions. But I
> > didn't let it overwrite the grub on the 1st drive it was/is  booting
> > wheezy from.
> >
> > I figured I'd mount it to wheezy and copy over my personal stuff,
> > like an email corpus well over 15GB reaching back to 2002.
> >
> > But I can't mount much of the drive, / is all that will actually
> > mount, because the 2 versions of ext4 are incompatible, nearly all
> > the mount and e2tools can't touch the installers ext4 file systems.
> >
> > For instance, its not mounted:
> > gene@coyote:~$ e2fsck /dev/sdb8
> > e2fsck 1.42.5 (29-Jul-2012)
> > /dev/sdb8 has unsupported feature(s): metadata_csum
> > e2fsck: Get a newer version of e2fsck!
> >
> > And of course whats installed to wheezy is the latest available
> > wheezy version of e2fsck.
> >
> > Whats the recommended way to do these mounts so I can maintain as
> > much continuity as possible?
>
> Can you not run your stretch installation then? In a new system, I'd
> mount the old wheezy disk(s) and pull the files across. Leaving the
> wheezy mount there makes it easy to look back at the old system in
> case you forget a file or just want to see how you used to do a
> particular something.

That is what I'll likely do when I next boot to it, but the tools to make
that easy are often in the missing list. I did get synaptic to install
mc, but had all sorts of perms problems I didn't expect when I tried to
use it, due I think to the changes in what says is ext4 on both disks.
We will eventually get it sorted I hope.  So I'll be, without a doubt,
back with more problems but hopefully making progress over the next week
or so. Progress always puts me in a better mood than I was for the first
post in this thread.

======

It will be a week down the log when I get to it, but I absolutely must
figure out how to get ssh -Y to work again.  Works flawlessly wheezy to
wheezy, but wheezy to Jessie and wheezy to stretch is a no-go from the
gitgo.

X11 forwarding request failed on channel 0, is the error.

It also fails like that from jessie(on an rpi-3b) to stretch(on a
rock64), but not from stretch to jessie, but still won't let geany run,
reporting "geany: can't open display".  So there may be 2 show stoppers
to fix.  Sigh...

> Cheers,
> David.

Thanks David.