Re: painted into a corner

On Monday 20 August 2018 13:53:14 Brian wrote:

> On Sun 19 Aug 2018 at 20:58:28 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > On Sunday 19 August 2018 17:33:32 David Wright wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > > Can you not run your stretch installation then? In a new system,
> > > I'd mount the old wheezy disk(s) and pull the files across.
> > > Leaving the wheezy mount there makes it easy to look back at the
> > > old system in case you forget a file or just want to see how you
> > > used to do a particular something.
> >
> > That is what I'll likely do when I next boot to it, but the tools to
> > make that easy are often in the missing list. I did get synaptic to
> > install mc, but had all sorts of perms problems I didn't expect when
> > I tried to use it, due I think to the changes in what says is ext4
> > on both disks. We will eventually get it sorted I hope.  So I'll be,
> > without a doubt, back with more problems but hopefully making
> > progress over the next week or so. Progress always puts me in a
> > better mood than I was for the first post in this thread.
>
> My suggestion is along the same lines as David Wright's.
>
> Boot the installer and stop when you get to partitioning.
> Switch to a console (ALT-F2) and mount the wheezy and stretch
> partitions. Use cp to copy files between the two partitions.

If push comes to shove, I'll see if a wheezy disk can be mounted to a
stretch mount point. Someplace in the last 2 days ISTR trying that after
booting stretch, and mount worked but navigating in the disk failed, the
root was all I could see, and when I rebooted to wheezy, I had a 15+
minute pause while it did an e2fsck to most of that 1 terabyte disk,
without reporting any errors found that it told me about on the boot
screen. That would spook most anybody I think.

But now, for no known reason, stretch's network has gone away.  And all
the tools I am familiar with have been excised from stretch.  Sigh...

Thanks Brian.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)