Re: A long rant on Debian 9

On Mon, 7 May 2018 15:30:54 +0000 (UTC)
Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:

> >> How do you get that on the kernel cmdline? My guess is that when
> >> the net-install medium boots, showing the menu which grub
> >> displays, you edit and append "tasks=..." to the line that starts
> >> "linux" right?
> >
> > Inside the installer (I booted with kvm this outdated? one I had
> > hanging around--'firmware-stretch-DI-rc3-amd64-netinst.iso') if you
> > press tab rather than enter on "Graphical Install" or "Install",
> > you get the kernel command line (to which you can append your extra
> > parameter(s)).
> >
> > If you press escape, you get a prompt that looks like this:
> >
> >  boot:
> >

> I should have just referred you to the Debian Handbook here:
>
> https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.installation-steps.html
>
>  Each menu entry hides a specific boot command line, which can be
> configured as needed by pressing the TAB key before validating the
> entry and booting. The “Help” menu entry displays the old command
> line interface, where the F1 to F10 keys display different help
> screens detailing the various options available at the prompt. You
> will rarely need to use this option except in very specific cases.

Unfortunately, that does not work. The Boot Screen does not look like
"Figure 4.1. Boot screen" and more to the point, tab has no effect. One
can move selection up or down, enter to select, E to edit, or C for
a GRUB command line. Boot a Debian 9.4 netinst iso and you'll see
what I mean.

Felix wrote:
"My Debian installations are all net installs that include

	tasks=standard base-installer/install-recommends=false

on the kernel cmdline."

What's the kernel here? The one for the installer, right? We need to
pass the above parms to the installer at boot time. Selecting "Install"
and typing "E" we see the following:

setparams 'Install'
  set background_color=black
  linux   /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet
  initrd  /install.amd/initrd.gz

So, do Felix's parms get appended to the end of the linux line or
where?

 - Dan