Re: A long rant on Debian 9

On 2018-05-07, Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
> On 2018-05-07, Dan Norton <dnorton@mindspring.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> on the kernel cmdline. I get nothing I don't need installed that way.
>>> Xorg and whatever else I need I get with apt* once booted normally.
>>>

>> How do you get that on the kernel cmdline? My guess is that when the
>> net-install medium boots, showing the menu which grub displays, you
>> edit and append "tasks=..." to the line that starts "linux" right?
>
> Inside the installer (I booted with kvm this outdated? one I had hanging
> around--'firmware-stretch-DI-rc3-amd64-netinst.iso') if you press tab
> rather than enter on "Graphical Install" or "Install", you get the
> kernel command line (to which you can append your extra parameter(s)).
>
> If you press escape, you get a prompt that looks like this:
>
>  boot:

I should have just referred you to the Debian Handbook here:

https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.installation-steps.html

 Each menu entry hides a specific boot command line, which can be configured
 as needed by pressing the TAB key before validating the entry and booting. The
 “Help” menu entry displays the old command line interface, where the F1 to F10
 keys display different help screens detailing the various options available at
 the prompt. You will rarely need to use this option except in very specific cases.