Re: A long rant on Debian 9

Dan wrote:
>On Mon, 7 May 2018 15:30:54 +0000 (UTC)
>Curt <curty@free.fr> wrote:
>>
>> I should have just referred you to the Debian Handbook here:
>>
>> https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.installation-steps.html
>>
>>  Each menu entry hides a specific boot command line, which can be
>> configured as needed by pressing the TAB key before validating the
>> entry and booting. The â??Helpâ?? menu entry displays the old command
>> line interface, where the F1 to F10 keys display different help
>> screens detailing the various options available at the prompt. You
>> will rarely need to use this option except in very specific cases.
>>

>Unfortunately, that does not work. The Boot Screen does not look like
>"Figure 4.1. Boot screen" and more to the point, tab has no effect. One
>can move selection up or down, enter to select, E to edit, or C for
>a GRUB command line. Boot a Debian 9.4 netinst iso and you'll see
>what I mean.

There are differences here, depending on how your system is
booting. If you're in (legacy/BIOS/CSM) mode, then you'll get the boot
screen as described (isolinux). If you're booting in UEFI mode, you'll
be using Grub instead. You'll get the same menu structure, but
interacting with it is slightly different in the details (as you've
noted).

>What's the kernel here? The one for the installer, right? We need to
>pass the above parms to the installer at boot time. Selecting "Install"
>and typing "E" we see the following:
>
>setparams 'Install'
>  set background_color=black
>  linux   /install.amd/vmlinuz vga=788 --- quiet
>  initrd  /install.amd/initrd.gz
>
>So, do Felix's parms get appended to the end of the linux line or
>where?

On the "linux" line, yes.

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html