low sound

hello,
Since a couple of days, the overall volume of my audio has decreased.
However, it doesnt appear to be affecting my audio player (Rhythmbox).
Youtube videos play with very low sound. I am using Gnome and am
setting the volume and amplification to max just to try and hear
something. Please tell me how I can check what is going on. Volume in
Kodi also appears to be lower than usual, and have been using the Kodi
volume controls for amplification as well.
thank you,