Re: Simple spreadsheet program.

On 13.03.18 09:59, Joe wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Mar 2018 20:42:08 +1100
> Erik Christiansen <dvalin@internode.on.net> wrote:
> > An sc description: "Its keybindings are familiar to users of 'vi', and
> > it has most features that a pure spreadsheet would, but lacks things
> > like graphing and saving in foreign formats. It's very stable and
> > quite easy to use once you've put a little effort into learning it."
> > makes it look as simple as it gets.
> >
> > Erik
> > (Who just uses a line of awk when needing to sum a column or two in a
> > table.)
> >

> It's the 'little effort' that stood out for me. Someone familiar with
> the operation of a piece of software always grossly underestimates how
> much they know about it, and how much someone else coming to it cold
> needs to know.

Too true. After a couple of hours of failing to get any GUI drawing
package, not least LibreOffice, to do anything useful, I used Vim to
textually produce the 8 drawings for my house; plan, elevations &
sections, and site plan. It took about 800 lines of Postscript, and I
didn't have to crack the inscrutable secrets of an obstructive GUI
interface.

But I persevered with the Eagle GUI schematic capture & PCB layout app,
putting in the weeks to tame it.

It probably comes down to whether you think you'll ever use it again.

Erik