Re: Setting up a local DNS server but clients that use it can't access the internet

On 24 February 2018 at 12:36, Reco <recoverym4n@gmail.com> wrote:
Ok, what about this (again, run it from the malfunctioning DNS, root is
needed for the second and third command):

dig in a debian.org @127.0.0.1

ss -nplu

iptables-save

I've attached the output of those commands also now.

> As previously mentioned each server and client has 2 network cards, one
> which provides internet access to the client or server, and the other
> provides internal services that are on the local network after the
> firewall, the DNS server shouldn't be accessible by any clients or servers
> that are on the internet/external side of my router/firewall.

You're talking about inbound connections, but your problem may lie with
the outbound ones.

Oh right I see.

root@debian:~# dig in a debian.org @127.0.0.1

; <<>> DiG 9.10.3-P4-Debian <<>> in a debian.org @127.0.0.1
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: SERVFAIL, id: 22821
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 4096
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;debian.org.                    IN      A

;; Query time: 336 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Sat Feb 24 12:38:39 GMT 2018
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 39

root@debian:~# ss -nplu
State       Recv-Q Send-Q                                 Local Address:Port                                                Peer Address:Port
UNCONN      0      0                                          10.0.2.20:53                                                             *:*                   users:(("named",pid=1193,fd=515))
UNCONN      0      0                                       192.168.0.61:53                                                             *:*                   users:(("named",pid=1193,fd=514))
UNCONN      0      0                                          127.0.0.1:53                                                             *:*                   users:(("named",pid=1193,fd=513))
UNCONN      0      0                                                  *:68                                                             *:*                   users:(("dhclient",pid=456,fd=6))
UNCONN      0      0                                                 :::53                                                            :::*                   users:(("named",pid=1193,fd=512))
root@debian:~# iptables-save
root@debian:~#