Re: Setting up a local DNS server but clients that use it can't access the internet

	Hi.

There's no need to Cc me, I'm subscribed to the list.

On Sat, Feb 24, 2018 at 10:58:49AM +0000, Aero Maxx wrote:
> Ok well I wasn't aware pastebin wasn't allowed, I was wary of pasting a
> huge wall of text from all the commands and the output of the files I was
> asked for right into an email.

That's why they invented archives and e-mail attachments.

> The output sadly told me nothing as I didn't understand it.
>
> My named.conf.options file does have a "forwarders" section in it.
>
> options {
..
>         forwarders {
>                 194.168.4.100;
>                 194.168.8.100;

Ok, that actually gives us something.

First things first, Virgin Media uses different nameservers, according
to the RIPE, at least. They are ns[1-4].virginmedia.net.

Second, these cache[12].service.viginmedia.net you're trying to use as
forwarders may or may not be operational.
A couple of quick tests should clarify it (run it from the malfunctioning
DNS):

dig in a debian.org @194.168.4.100
dig in a debian.org @194.168.8.100

> Is there a reason as to why the root DNSes aren't accessible to my BIND?

You forgot to put your DNS server at DMZ.
They block udp:53 and tcp:53 at Virgin Media.
Someone at *your* premises does the same.

There are many things that can go wrong.

Reco