Re: Wheezy to Stretch

On 02/21/2018 10:47 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:39:54AM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 02/21/2018 09:45 AM, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
I am running Wheezy (v7 = oldoldstable) and intend to replace it with a fresh
install of Stretch (v9 = stable) before Wheezy's support runs out on May
31st.  I will try the default systemd installation and see how I like it.

Okay, but I suggest instead you keep your wheezy system and your wheezy
sources and do a upgrade using package upgrade-system, it will clean your
system and then add the stretch sources including backports and run apt
update & apt-upgrade and then run upgrade-system until your system is
upgraded and clean, careful that sysvinit is not removed cause that package
is not in stretch. You can also use apt dist-upgrade and deborphan.

Note that upgrades skipping a release (e.g., wheezy -> stretch instead
of wheezy -> jessie -> stretch) are not supported. A fresh install
sounds like the better route in this case.

Also, adding backports sources for the target version during an upgrade
is a terrible idea. Packages in backports have not received upgrade
testing, so who knows what sort of a mess it could create.

For Steven, the best thing is to read the release notes and/or
installation manual and follow the instructions found there.

Regards,

-Roberto
I know what I'm talking about and if I can do it anybody can do it, Debian has given us all the tools we need to upgrade any stable release to current stable release or higher for that matter, thank about it. Just start with a simple upgrade first before tackling the other things, it's not rocket science after all.

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS - KDE Plasma 5.12.1 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda9
Registered Linux User #380263