Re: Wheezy to Stretch

On 2/21/2018 7:47 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:39:54AM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
On 02/21/2018 09:45 AM, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
I am running Wheezy (v7 = oldoldstable) and intend to replace it with a fresh
install of Stretch (v9 = stable) before Wheezy's support runs out on May
31st.  I will try the default systemd installation and see how I like it.

Okay, but I suggest instead you keep your wheezy system and your wheezy
sources and do a upgrade using package upgrade-system, it will clean your
system and then add the stretch sources including backports and run apt
update & apt-upgrade and then run upgrade-system until your system is
upgraded and clean, careful that sysvinit is not removed cause that package
is not in stretch. You can also use apt dist-upgrade and deborphan.

Note that upgrades skipping a release (e.g., wheezy -> stretch instead
of wheezy -> jessie -> stretch) are not supported. A fresh install
sounds like the better route in this case.

Also, adding backports sources for the target version during an upgrade
is a terrible idea. Packages in backports have not received upgrade
testing, so who knows what sort of a mess it could create.

For Steven, the best thing is to read the release notes and/or
installation manual and follow the instructions found there.

I agree with Roberto for both advices.

--
John Doe