Re: Wheezy to Stretch

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 12:40:51PM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> I know what I'm talking about

Same here.

> and if I can do it anybody can do it,

There is a big difference between *can* and *should*.

> Debian
> has given us all the tools we need to upgrade any stable release to current
> stable release or higher for that matter, thank about it.

>From the release notes [0]:

Direct upgrades from Debian releases older than 8 (jessie) are not
supported. Please follow the instructions in the Release Notes for
Debian 8 to upgrade to 8 first.

> Just start with a
> simple upgrade first before tackling the other things, it's not rocket
> science after all.

Correct. It is not rocket science. However, the suggestion you made is
far more likely to encounter problems, perhaps even very difficult to
recover problems, than the supported and *tested* upgrade path. There
are so many packages in Debian that you have no way of being certain
that any given upgrade will work without issues.

I have even done in place 32-bit -> 64-bit migrations. However, I would
not recommend that anyone try that without understanding the potential
risks. Your recommendation had a conspicuous lack of warnings concerning
the potential provblems associated with it.

Regards,

-Roberto

[0]
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/amd64/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html#system-status