Re: Wheezy to Stretch

On 02/21/2018 09:45 AM, Kleene, Steven (kleenesj) wrote:
I am running Wheezy (v7 = oldoldstable) and intend to replace it with a fresh
install of Stretch (v9 = stable) before Wheezy's support runs out on May
31st.  I will try the default systemd installation and see how I like it.

Okay, but I suggest instead you keep your wheezy system and your wheezy sources and do a upgrade using package upgrade-system, it will clean your system and then add the stretch sources including backports and run apt update & apt-upgrade and then run upgrade-system until your system is upgraded and clean, careful that sysvinit is not removed cause that package is not in stretch. You can also use apt dist-upgrade and deborphan.

After the installation, I will want to build my system from my favorite
window manager (fvwm).  With sysvinit, I would set initdefault to runlevel 3
in /etc/inittab.  In /etc/rc3.d, I would rename gdm3 so that I would boot
into a terminal interface (command line) instead of Gnome.  Then I would
quickly install fvwm, call startx, and happily finish building.

I know systemd doesn't have inittab.  Will the default installation leave me
with a terminal interface whenever I boot?  If not, how will I accomplish
that?

I also thought I had read about some problem with window authentication in
Stretch, but I can't find any such posts now.

I don't know of any current problems in stretch.

Thanks.

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Buster - KDE Plasma 5.12.0 - AMD A8-7600 - EXT4 at sda7
Registered Linux User #380263